Men don’t understand why women love Hallmark movies so much. To an extent, it’s understandable. They can be cheesy. Some of them have not-so-great actors (although that has changed a lot over the years), and they may seem unrealistic. That’s not the way real love works, right? I tend to disagree, so let’s dig into this a little bit.
I love the Hallmark Channel and UP Faith & Family. There are multiple reasons, but the first and foremost reason being that 99.9% of the time, I don’t have to worry in the slightest that I am going to run into lewd content. I detest starting a show, and then running into foul language, sex scenes, etc. I will turn it off before I will watch it. With Hallmark and UP, I don’t have to worry about it.
Secondly, with the content being clean, I always leave a show or movie feeling the warm fuzzies. Whether it was a drama, a mystery, a romantic comedy or a TV series, I always feel better after I am done watching the show than before I sat down. I love that! They make me smile. They lift my spirits. They give me hope.
So now my question is this; why can’t love and marriage be like a Hallmark movie? What does a woman really want from her man? This is just my opinion of course, but here is what I think the vast majority of women truly want.
- She wants a man who sees no other woman, once he lays eyes on her.
– She knows she won’t always be young and physically beautiful, but she wants to know that her man only has eyes for her. She wants to know that his love for her is as a whole human being – heart, mind, body, and soul – and that once her outer beauty may fade, she will have nothing to fear. She wants to be adored by her man; not just for her beauty, but for her whole being.
- She wants a man who treats her with kindness.
– Someone who will still hold out her coat for her, open doors, bring flowers, or even take the time to have a gift wrapped in beautiful gold ribbons or pearlescent bows (even if he didn’t do it himself!), just to let her know that he wanted to make this moment special for her. A little effort in the small things makes a big difference to a woman.
- She wants a man who is devoted only to her.
– She wants him to love her so much that there is never even a thought in his head of searching for someone new. This in turn gives her the security of never having to entertain a single doubt of where he stands in his commitment and love for her, and where she stands with him. She already knows.
- In short, she wants to be the love of his life.
Proverbs 5:18-19 says: “Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth. As a loving hind and a graceful doe, let her breasts satisfy you at all times; be exhilarated always with her love.”
“Rejoice in the wife of your youth … be exhilarated always with her love.” Yes! This!
This is what a woman wants. Is that so unrealistic? If it is, then one (or both) parties might need to take a second look at what they are doing, or not doing in their relationship with one another. (Women/wives also have their part to do to make this happen, but that’s for another article.)
To sum it all up, it’s a whole heart thing. After all, God designed us to love and be loved. If we are living our lives according to God’s Word, there is no reason why every love story (and especially within marriage!) shouldn’t be just like a Hallmark movie.
Let’s face it; we all want the fairytale.